So, exactly four days ago I was sitting at “date night” with my fiance, when he dropped a huge bomb in the middle of our conversation. We were playing uno and, It went a little sometime like this:
Mark: Look at that baby over there! So funny how he’s babbling away.
Me: Yup, and you just took my turn! Jerk!
Mark: Oops, well, we should have a baby.
Me: So you can have someone else to lose to at uno?
Mark : No seriously, I’m ready for a baby!
So, this is all new to me. Of course, as a girl I’ve always had an ever evolving list of baby names I would give my future children, but it’s so different when someone else starts wanting to use your list! Don’t get me wrong, I am super giddy about having kids of our own, and I have no doubt that he is the perfect person to go into that life with… However, wow! Shocker city! I’ve been a nanny for years, yet the thought of getting off my birth control and having my own children by choice sent me running to my best friend’s house the next day to tell her the news! She of course quickly informed me SHE was not ready to be Aunty Kaitlyn to my children yet lol!
So many things pop into your head when you think about if you’re ready,
Do we need this big wedding?
Is this the right time?
Do I have to give up date night?
Do I work too much to have a little human?
Can I call my own kids “little humans” or is that derogatory?
Do I have to quit my retail job and get a “big kid job”?
WE NEED A TWO BEDROOM HOUSE
Can we even afford a 2 bedroom place
Can I still get Starbucks?
Seriously though… How did you know you were ready to have kids?? Are you ever ready?
I decided to stop putting it off and finally sign up for the Adopt-A-Soldier program again! It was so much fun the first time I did it, and I have missed making care packages that get to journey far and across seas! Have you ever checked out their website? If not you should! It’s such a fantastic program and helps so many soldiers get the support that they need during deployments. Their website is Adoptaussoldier.Org .
Anywho, now that the good deed plug is out of the way, I started chatting with my soldier the other day and figured it was time for the first fancy care package! It’s October, a little late for Halloween maybe, but I went with it and threw in some flexible fall decor too, just in case it gets there a little late! I went on a quick little shopping spree on my lunch break and came up with this mixture of goodies:
So inside of that crazy picture is:
apple cider fizzies
Fake ugly teeth
Pumpkin pez dispenser
Pumpkin popcorn crunch
Halloween booger candy
Pumpkin pie almonds
Chocolate covered orange peels
Vampire teeth lollipop
Mohawk Rubber ducky
Skeleton and vampire toys
Mini lazer guns
Biscoff cookie butter
Green Apple cotton candy
Orange crayola bubbles
Halloween candy bags to share
So once I got all of those goodies into the one size fits all box, I realized I had no scrapbook paper and no more money left in my budget! So I ran to the dollar store and picked up two orange school folders to chop up! Then I came home, downloaded a font off of fontspace.com and cut out the letters to spell “Trick Or Treat”. Then I sprinkled the box with some glittery fall leaves and BAM! Fall package all done!
So what do yall think? Did I do it justice?
One of my favorite things to do is write my fiance letters. It’s so old fashioned, and yes..it takes him 3-4 days to get them, but it’s so much fun!! I never run out of things to tell him, it’s not always interesting but I can atleast I can always fall back on what’s happening in Orange is the New Black or Gilmore Girls. Most of the time I tell him how much I love him and come up with obnoxious pet names like “Honey Bunches Of Oats”…Yeah…I’m that girl. (Not in front of his friends though)! Long story short, I’m always looking for new ways to make the letters different and interesting!! I’ve printed out quizzes, questionnaires, puzzles…but I decided next I’m going to try making my own stationary (bare with me). I AM NOT TECHNICALLY SAVVY. But I’ve seen some people do the picture faded in the background type of thing, which I like..but I feel weird writing over people’s faces…seems rude! So instead I downloaded some fonts (from fontspace.com) and used plain ol’ Microsoft Word & PIXLR (my favorite editor) to come up with some cool looks. So here is what I came up with:
The pictures suck..I realize that. Lighting at 2am is pretty HORRID. However, for the first one I made a photo collage on Pixlr.com, and then put it at the bottom of my word document, added a line on top from the “Shapes” menu, and then simply typed in one of my favorite quotes on top in a font that I downloaded from FontSpace.com (Font is called CaneLetter Script, if you’re interested).
For the Second one it was even easier…I downloaded another font from FontSpace.com ( It’s called I Love What You Do) and split up one of my favorite love quotes (one of the few that doesn’t make me wanna gag from the sweetness, thank you Emily Bronte) “Whatever Souls are made of His & Mine are the same”. I simply typed half on top, and half on the bottom in a fun color…BAM. It made my letters look a smidgen better than my usual scribbled hearts and stars that I usually gracefully add down the margins.
I’m really working on coming up with some new fun Love Letter inspired crafts!! I definitely need a cute way to store the many I have because they currently sit in a plastic tub, which is just oh so romantic! Hmm Hmm Hmm…time to go put on my thinking cap! Leave me some comments if you have any ideas!!
* INSERT DRAMATIC ENTRANCE*
I’m Back!! That was the longest leave of absence anyone has ever taken in their life! I’ll admit it…I got so incredibly freakin boring that I was even bored with myself! I literally own no more scrapbook paper and my cake pans got moved to the attic…someone please hit me over the head before I mentally reach the age of 99! I’m 21 years old and officially engaged to the love of my life. It has been the craziest roller coaster getting to this point (as some of you may remember..hint..scroll down a post or two). But no worries, I completely intend to fill y’all in on all of the lovely and sometimes horrific details of what you’ve missed!
Quick overview to wet your whistle, while you wait:
- My boyfriend proposed
- I turned 21
- Officially became a college drop out ( for the second time)
- Quit my job of 3 years as a hotel clerk
- Discovered I love working retail
- Learned how to Hula Hoop
- Also discovered how long I could go without a home cooked meal.
So are you sad you missed any of those glorious highlights?? I’m in the middle of a craft project, so I simply must run…however, I can’t leave without showing you THE ONE. Although I must warn you..he’s a cutie. So without further adieu, Please welcome, Mr.Mann 🙂
So I’ve been pretty MIA as of late…life has really been hitting me pretty hard with everything. James and I aren’t together anymore. It was pretty dramatic, and honestly extremely painful. He’d been talking to someone else. But I don’t want to get into the details right now, they’re not really fun to talk about. School is crazy as well, I’m behind in practically everything it feels, and I’ve just really been struggling I guess. I miss talking to everyone on here and I felt like I should make a little post about why I’m taking a break. I just need some me time I think…
Thanks for understanding,
Love, Jessie ❤
UPDATE:So James just got his Zombie Apocalypse care package!! (It only took 10 days to ship! That’s amazing!) It’s kinda funny, cause the last couple packages have taken a month, so I sent this one for Valentines early, thinking it would just barely make it!…Oh it made it all right! I’m glad though, early is so much better than late!!
Anywho, on a separate note: All of my friends are having babies and getting married and I’m just over here like…can y’all stop! I can’t afford this!!<–notice that wording ! “I”(as in me, the friend) can’t afford “THIS” (them having baby showers & wedding showers and showers on showers on showers!) I love them all to bits and that’s the problem! I always go overboard with gifts! It never fails! I set a budget, I get to the store, and I spend a bazillion dollars and 50 cents! For example, I just finished shopping for my friends, Alex & Colten’s, baby shower. I was gonna make her a baby blanket, and buy her some onesies…this is what she’s getting:
So in the baby box galore, there’s a hooded bath towel, a 3 pack of onesies, socks, burp cloths, newborn soothies, little “converse” shoes, a pink headband,bath stuff, and a homemade blanket!
I’ve done a post on making the cotton/ minky blankets before, so I won’t go too much into the details. You can look at the original post here: Baffling Blankets. I did the same thing basically, except I pinned the fabrics wrong sides together, and sewed around with the satin blanket binding. I’m not gonna lie..the binding was a Beeotch! I later found out that I had the wrong thread in the machine, which is why my machine kept jamming, and why I couldn’t sew a straight line for my life! Once the thread was changed it went together like butter!
So for my Happy
Valentines Day Zombie Apocalypse care package, I found an idea for Apocalypse cookies on the blog Shards of Blue. For hers she brilliantly combined a recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Brown Eyed Baker and No Bake Cockroach Clusters from Bakingdom.
I’m kind of not very good at changing up recipes. I’m such a rule follower, but this logically made sense in my head, so I’m gonna share with y’all my very simple combination of these recipes.
Base Ingredients (From Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (instead of 1 cup from original)
Additives (From the Cockroach Clusters:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (mixed in with flour)
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini reese’s pieces
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzel pieces (I used unsalted)
- Measure out & whisk together your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, & cocoa powder) Set aside
- In a mixer, cream your butter, and add the two sugars, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Scrape down the bowl with a spatula, and add your egg. Mix on medium speed until everything is mixed well.
- Add your flour mixture (slowly so it doesn’t cover your kitchen! I may have done that..)
- Add all your mix-ins!! (Everything, reese’s, oats, chocolate chips, pretzels, and marshmallows!
- Scoop large portions (3 Tablespoons approximately), place them 2 inches apart on your baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees. Note: Use parchment on your cookie sheet, because the marshmallow may caramelize which will make them stick.
- Tip: I have an older oven, so times for me may be different for you. But these took about 15 minutes in my oven. I scooped them kind of large, and I did not wait for them to get solid. Once the bottoms looked like they had set, I took them out and let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes to continue cooking. This makes for a chewy and delicious cookie!
So why are these Apocalypse cookies? Well the blogger from Shards of Blue described it pretty well..There’s practically everything but the kitchen sink in these cookies!! Can you imagine making food during an apocalypse?! I’d be throwing everything in there! Enjoy!!
I feel like I haven’t posted on here in FOREVER! And the truth is I really haven’t. Life has been kind of crazy (it has a tendency to get like that), spring semester of college has officially started, and I’m beginning to feel that little stress monster tapping away at my peace of mind. Random news in my life while I’ve been gone: I got my drivers license! I drove to Walmart all by myself! And got the stuff for this amazing, “world ending” package!!
My theme was Valentines day..but I don’t really like Valentines day that much honestly, so I decided to go with a Happy
Valentines Day Zombie Apocalypse! I actually got too much stuff…and I couldn’t part with any of it so I made 1 zombie safety kit, and 1 supply refill box. I think this is my favorite one yet y’all….What do you think? (Click them to get a better view, the lighting was pretty terrible at 3am this morning)
So The flaps on big gray box say “If I were a zombie, I’d never eat your brains. I’d just want your heart”, although this looks really random, it’s actually from a song that the two of us really love called “The Zombie Song”. It’s also where I got the inspiration for the little stick figure zombies. I drew me as a zombie, and him as a zombie hunter! He’s wearing his Army t-shirt and his PT Belt (safety first) You can check it out here:
and here are my zombie stick figures!
Ok so I guess you want to know whats in it? So many goodies!!
- Apocalypse cookies which I got the idea for from Shards of Blue. I’ll post the recipe in a bit.
- A new Nerf Gun with extra ammo!
- My ipod: he needed a new one and I don’t use mine anymore. I put it in an envelope and labeled it Emergency Communication.
- A Thunder Buddies T-shirt! (From the movie Ted)
- A Zombie Apocalypse Calender (from thinkgeek.com)
- A Zombie survival kit (also from thinkgeek.com)
- A Bite Kit (first aid kit)
- 2 liquid water flavorings
- 2 Energy shots (for when the battles seem to never end)
- Valentine Chocolates (food rations)
- Conversation Hearts (Zombie Feed)
- Altoids (The Zombie Apocalypse is not an excuse for bad breath!)
- A Clemson Tigers Camo Beanie
- A Texas A&M Baseball Cap
- A bag of bendy straws (inside joke)
- Dead Island Video Game (Survival Training)
- A canvas messenger bag to carry it all (well most of it)
I had so much fun making this package!! I think it’s my favorite one so far!
I can not tell y’all how amazing it feels to get these blogging awards! DIY2EMC nominated me for the Beautiful Blogger Award, and I have to say it is such and honor to have been nominated by such a beautiful blogger! She’s amazing, and I love browsing through her posts of marvelous finds! Her blog is full of elegant and quirky finds on a budget, as well as so many other goodies!! I also have to add that I think she is one of my biggest supporters on my page, always leaving me little pieces of encouragement! I love that about her! Now it’s time to let y’all in on a little bit about me as a blogger (per the award’s request)
7 facts about me not listed on my about me page: (This is getting harder each time it gets asked!)
- I work at the front desk of a Quality Inn & Suites! I win over all the guests (well most all of them) with my awkward sweetness & charm. I say awkward because there is not a conversation that goes by where I don’t stumble or stutter over my words.
- I have lived in Columbia, SC my entire life (except for my freshman year of college which was spent in Charlotte, NC); however, I SUCK at giving directions anywhere! To me, everything is just down the street! (Why God made MapQuest…or whoever it was)
- I’m 19 and I do not have my drivers license quite yet…that’s sooo embarrassing! Ok, so the thing is, I have terrible anxiety. So no matter how awesome of a driver I am, sitting in the DMV for 3 hours (it never fails) until the instructor gets in the car and tells me to turn right & I just get tunnel vision and forget the simple things…UGH. But anywho, it’s on my list of things to suck up and do.
- I’m a pescatarian!! This means that I eat fish as my only meat product. No chicken, beef, pork, lamb, anything like that. I gave up meat completely (even fish) during a Lent season a while ago (It’s a Catholic tradition of fasting) and it just kinda stuck. It’s been about 3 years now, I added the fish back because I became really sick due to something else, and it was just easier to fight one battle at a time. I did try to eat chicken a couple months ago…and I literally couldn’t get it in my mouth, there was like an invisible force in the way of my fork & mouth.
- I love retro style glasses! I’ve had to wear glasses since the 1st grade, and my current obsession is getting them kinda cat-eye style? I’m due to get another pair soon & I’m super excited to pick out new frames! Although I really love the ones I have now from Betsy Johnson (I’ll post a picture at the bottom)
- One of my major pet-peeves lately is getting things with cupcakes on them. So, I went to school to become a pastry chef, and I guess when you do that you give people the right to give you everything ever manufactured that has to do with cupcakes? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love cupcakes! But I really really don’t need anything else that’s cupcake themed. However, I do love fingernail polish & shoelaces, in case that threw off anyone’s gift ideas for me.
- One of my goals is to learn American Sign Language. It’s my new years resolution to get started on the basics this year. I think it’s a really awesome skill to have, especially in the field of social work (which is my major). I’ve also just always found it extremely fascinating. Anyone have any tips?
Nominate 7 Bloggers & Tell them you nominated them!! (Little compliments on the side are nice too, I really enjoyed mine from DIY2EMC)
- Rohan 7 Things: This blogger is truly amazing! He wrote his own book!! (Like what, who does that??) <–This Guy
- Miss Marzipan: Her posts always get me thinking about my next project or romp in the kitchen. Not to mention she does everything with such style!
- Beautiful Objects: This lovely blogger & super mom just started a pretty cool series of posts on being purposeful, which is something I can definitely learn from myself!
- Family Life with the Mom who is All Hart: I love love love reading her posts!! Recently she posted some sports cupcakes that are just too cool! She’s a truly inspirational person 🙂
- Homemade Delish: I seriously can’t get enough of her awesome recipes! Honestly, the minutes she posted about her mac& cheese & Nutella cake in a mug a couple days ago, I think I was sold for life!
- Life, Love, & Sugar: I’ve nominated her for an award before, but it’s because she’s truly awesome! Her hashbrown casserole recipe (which I reblogged about) is like food heaven! I literally make it way too much! My family has no complaints though! She’s just pretty awesome with the recipes she comes up with!
- My MCM Life: This family…is truly just amazing. I love reading about their updates with their house and beautiful daughter. They’re truly an inspiration!
Y’all should definitely check all these beautiful and amazing bloggers out & give them a quick like & follow! I promise you won’t be disappointed! And thank you so much again to the lovely DIY2EMC!! She’s amazing, and my wordpress reader would be much sadder without her!
“There’s Vegetables in Chili?!” This is the question I was asked while making my family dinner the other night…seriously…Ok I guess I should preface this by letting y’all know I’ve been a vegetarian for about 3 years, and that’s around the time I started really learning how to cook, so most of what I know is veggie friendly. My parents & soldier quickly informed me, however, that vegetables are not a regular occurrence in “normal people chili”. Although, I would like to point out that it doesn’t stop any of them from wanting to eat it… I guess it just never occured to me that I made chili differently than anyone else? I mean I know I don’t put meat in mine..but doesn’t everyone put peppers, onions, and corn? Sometimes I even like to put zucchini! *gasp!*
I’ve noticed that a lot of vegetarian chili recipes lack the “chili-ness” (That’s totally a word, right?) that makes chili so comforting, but I stumbled on this recipe a while ago and it’s been my go-to recipe ever since! It’s so good I didn’t even get to take a picture of it before my family attacked it! Here’s the recipe from The Picky Eater Blog.
- 1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (I actually ended up using 2 green peppers & it was still yummy!)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced (I used a regular onion that I had at home)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweetened) (I think this is the real kicker to what makes this recipe awesome)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (or a bit less) cayenne pepper
- A couple splashes of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper and paprika to taste
- Chop up your peppers & onions and saute them with some olive oil until translucent.
- While those are cooking, gather the rest of your ingredients together in a separate pot. (Make sure to rinse the canning liquid from the cans of beans before adding)
- Once the peppers & onions are ready, toss them in to the pot with the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer & cook for 3o minutes. (It’s really important to let it cook down during this part, it’s when all the flavors really come together).
Then enjoy!! It really is delicious, full of veggie goodness, and so comforting!