I gave in! My boyfriend has been begging me to send him some baked goods in his next care package. I was a little hesitant because it takes anywhere from a week to two and a half weeks for his packages to get to him. Now imagine baked goods after that period of time…can we say gross? I’m kind of a germaphobe, but I know that is not just me! Anywho, I did some research and kept seeing these mason jar cakes! Not only do I love anything in a mason jar (how freaking adorable!) but they stay fresh & sealed!
Here’s how it works:
- Whip up your favorite cake mix (boxed or homemade <-my go to yellow cake mix)
- Fill the jars HALF WAY. If you fill them more than that you’ll have a mess on your hands (and your oven)
- Place filled jars on a cookie sheet or in a cake pan so they won’t slide around .
- Bake the ovens at the temperature your recipe calls for. (I baked mine at 350 degrees)
- Special note: I have a really old oven, and these 4 jars took about 35 minutes, but it may be different for you)
- While your cakes are baking, boil the mason jar lids in a pot of water.
- Once the cakes come out of the oven, take out your lids, dry them, and use oven mitts to twist them onto the hot jars.
- Sit them on the counter to cool and listen for the lids to “pop” meaning that they’ve sealed.
Ok so the jars are just adorable as is! But I found some labels that are just too darn cute!! I had thought about just tying ribbon around the lids but hold onto your socks girls and check out these labels!! <–Click me!
Just an additional side note, I’m sending these in a care package, so I wrapped them in bubble wrap so they wouldn’t crack. So be careful about how you transport them because they are glass. Better safe than sorry, right?