Sometimes T-shirts just take up way too much space in my closet…I’m not even gonna lie, half of my closet is t-shirts. (HALF!) I have 2 or 3 that I wear on a regular basis that are my favorites, but other than that they just sit there till I have a painting project or I’m going to the pool. A couple Christmas’s ago I bought my roommate 2 of these “Upcycled T-shirt Scarves”. She was really into scarves and I thought it was so neat they they were made from t-shirts. I’m pretty sure I paid too much for them..considering I just figured out how to make them out of my own t-shirts. But the point is, I made a really cool scarf and it was insanely simple!
- First, I ironed my t-shirt so that it laid nice and flat on my table.
- Then I made a straight cut across, under the sleeve so that I had one uniform loop.
- I trimmed off the bottom hem as well.
- After that, I cut strips of different widths (I did mine a couple different lengths cause I like the messy look, but around an inch is good)
- Then I took the loops and stretched them out like taffy, until the edges curled in, making a smooth shape.
- Once I grouped them together, I wrapped an extra piece of the fabric around the loops until I had a “handle”.
- And finally, I tucked the ends of the strand in so that you can’t see them. (this was probably the trickiest part out of the whole thing)
There ya go!! Now you have an upcycled t-shirt scarf! I made a little pom pom flower out of one of the extra strands (let me know if you want me to show you how to make one). You could also add some beads or even a brooch! There are so many different styles of these scarves on Pinterest and Etsy, I can’t wait to try a few more!