UPDATE:So James just got his Zombie Apocalypse care package!! (It only took 10 days to ship! That’s amazing!) It’s kinda funny, cause the last couple packages have taken a month, so I sent this one for Valentines early, thinking it would just barely make it!…Oh it made it all right! I’m glad though, early is so much better than late!!
Anywho, on a separate note: All of my friends are having babies and getting married and I’m just over here like…can y’all stop! I can’t afford this!!<–notice that wording ! “I”(as in me, the friend) can’t afford “THIS” (them having baby showers & wedding showers and showers on showers on showers!) I love them all to bits and that’s the problem! I always go overboard with gifts! It never fails! I set a budget, I get to the store, and I spend a bazillion dollars and 50 cents! For example, I just finished shopping for my friends, Alex & Colten’s, baby shower. I was gonna make her a baby blanket, and buy her some onesies…this is what she’s getting:
So in the baby box galore, there’s a hooded bath towel, a 3 pack of onesies, socks, burp cloths, newborn soothies, little “converse” shoes, a pink headband,bath stuff, and a homemade blanket!
I’ve done a post on making the cotton/ minky blankets before, so I won’t go too much into the details. You can look at the original post here: Baffling Blankets. I did the same thing basically, except I pinned the fabrics wrong sides together, and sewed around with the satin blanket binding. I’m not gonna lie..the binding was a Beeotch! I later found out that I had the wrong thread in the machine, which is why my machine kept jamming, and why I couldn’t sew a straight line for my life! Once the thread was changed it went together like butter!
So for my Happy
Valentines Day Zombie Apocalypse care package, I found an idea for Apocalypse cookies on the blog Shards of Blue. For hers she brilliantly combined a recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Brown Eyed Baker and No Bake Cockroach Clusters from Bakingdom.
I’m kind of not very good at changing up recipes. I’m such a rule follower, but this logically made sense in my head, so I’m gonna share with y’all my very simple combination of these recipes.
Base Ingredients (From Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (instead of 1 cup from original)
Additives (From the Cockroach Clusters:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (mixed in with flour)
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini reese’s pieces
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzel pieces (I used unsalted)
- Measure out & whisk together your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, & cocoa powder) Set aside
- In a mixer, cream your butter, and add the two sugars, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Scrape down the bowl with a spatula, and add your egg. Mix on medium speed until everything is mixed well.
- Add your flour mixture (slowly so it doesn’t cover your kitchen! I may have done that..)
- Add all your mix-ins!! (Everything, reese’s, oats, chocolate chips, pretzels, and marshmallows!
- Scoop large portions (3 Tablespoons approximately), place them 2 inches apart on your baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees. Note: Use parchment on your cookie sheet, because the marshmallow may caramelize which will make them stick.
- Tip: I have an older oven, so times for me may be different for you. But these took about 15 minutes in my oven. I scooped them kind of large, and I did not wait for them to get solid. Once the bottoms looked like they had set, I took them out and let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes to continue cooking. This makes for a chewy and delicious cookie!
So why are these Apocalypse cookies? Well the blogger from Shards of Blue described it pretty well..There’s practically everything but the kitchen sink in these cookies!! Can you imagine making food during an apocalypse?! I’d be throwing everything in there! Enjoy!!
I feel like I haven’t posted on here in FOREVER! And the truth is I really haven’t. Life has been kind of crazy (it has a tendency to get like that), spring semester of college has officially started, and I’m beginning to feel that little stress monster tapping away at my peace of mind. Random news in my life while I’ve been gone: I got my drivers license! I drove to Walmart all by myself! And got the stuff for this amazing, “world ending” package!!
My theme was Valentines day..but I don’t really like Valentines day that much honestly, so I decided to go with a Happy
Valentines Day Zombie Apocalypse! I actually got too much stuff…and I couldn’t part with any of it so I made 1 zombie safety kit, and 1 supply refill box. I think this is my favorite one yet y’all….What do you think? (Click them to get a better view, the lighting was pretty terrible at 3am this morning)
So The flaps on big gray box say “If I were a zombie, I’d never eat your brains. I’d just want your heart”, although this looks really random, it’s actually from a song that the two of us really love called “The Zombie Song”. It’s also where I got the inspiration for the little stick figure zombies. I drew me as a zombie, and him as a zombie hunter! He’s wearing his Army t-shirt and his PT Belt (safety first) You can check it out here:
and here are my zombie stick figures!
Ok so I guess you want to know whats in it? So many goodies!!
- Apocalypse cookies which I got the idea for from Shards of Blue. I’ll post the recipe in a bit.
- A new Nerf Gun with extra ammo!
- My ipod: he needed a new one and I don’t use mine anymore. I put it in an envelope and labeled it Emergency Communication.
- A Thunder Buddies T-shirt! (From the movie Ted)
- A Zombie Apocalypse Calender (from thinkgeek.com)
- A Zombie survival kit (also from thinkgeek.com)
- A Bite Kit (first aid kit)
- 2 liquid water flavorings
- 2 Energy shots (for when the battles seem to never end)
- Valentine Chocolates (food rations)
- Conversation Hearts (Zombie Feed)
- Altoids (The Zombie Apocalypse is not an excuse for bad breath!)
- A Clemson Tigers Camo Beanie
- A Texas A&M Baseball Cap
- A bag of bendy straws (inside joke)
- Dead Island Video Game (Survival Training)
- A canvas messenger bag to carry it all (well most of it)
I had so much fun making this package!! I think it’s my favorite one so far!
I can not tell y’all how amazing it feels to get these blogging awards! DIY2EMC nominated me for the Beautiful Blogger Award, and I have to say it is such and honor to have been nominated by such a beautiful blogger! She’s amazing, and I love browsing through her posts of marvelous finds! Her blog is full of elegant and quirky finds on a budget, as well as so many other goodies!! I also have to add that I think she is one of my biggest supporters on my page, always leaving me little pieces of encouragement! I love that about her! Now it’s time to let y’all in on a little bit about me as a blogger (per the award’s request)
7 facts about me not listed on my about me page: (This is getting harder each time it gets asked!)
- I work at the front desk of a Quality Inn & Suites! I win over all the guests (well most all of them) with my awkward sweetness & charm. I say awkward because there is not a conversation that goes by where I don’t stumble or stutter over my words.
- I have lived in Columbia, SC my entire life (except for my freshman year of college which was spent in Charlotte, NC); however, I SUCK at giving directions anywhere! To me, everything is just down the street! (Why God made MapQuest…or whoever it was)
- I’m 19 and I do not have my drivers license quite yet…that’s sooo embarrassing! Ok, so the thing is, I have terrible anxiety. So no matter how awesome of a driver I am, sitting in the DMV for 3 hours (it never fails) until the instructor gets in the car and tells me to turn right & I just get tunnel vision and forget the simple things…UGH. But anywho, it’s on my list of things to suck up and do.
- I’m a pescatarian!! This means that I eat fish as my only meat product. No chicken, beef, pork, lamb, anything like that. I gave up meat completely (even fish) during a Lent season a while ago (It’s a Catholic tradition of fasting) and it just kinda stuck. It’s been about 3 years now, I added the fish back because I became really sick due to something else, and it was just easier to fight one battle at a time. I did try to eat chicken a couple months ago…and I literally couldn’t get it in my mouth, there was like an invisible force in the way of my fork & mouth.
- I love retro style glasses! I’ve had to wear glasses since the 1st grade, and my current obsession is getting them kinda cat-eye style? I’m due to get another pair soon & I’m super excited to pick out new frames! Although I really love the ones I have now from Betsy Johnson (I’ll post a picture at the bottom)
- One of my major pet-peeves lately is getting things with cupcakes on them. So, I went to school to become a pastry chef, and I guess when you do that you give people the right to give you everything ever manufactured that has to do with cupcakes? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love cupcakes! But I really really don’t need anything else that’s cupcake themed. However, I do love fingernail polish & shoelaces, in case that threw off anyone’s gift ideas for me.
- One of my goals is to learn American Sign Language. It’s my new years resolution to get started on the basics this year. I think it’s a really awesome skill to have, especially in the field of social work (which is my major). I’ve also just always found it extremely fascinating. Anyone have any tips?
Nominate 7 Bloggers & Tell them you nominated them!! (Little compliments on the side are nice too, I really enjoyed mine from DIY2EMC)
- Rohan 7 Things: This blogger is truly amazing! He wrote his own book!! (Like what, who does that??) <–This Guy
- Miss Marzipan: Her posts always get me thinking about my next project or romp in the kitchen. Not to mention she does everything with such style!
- Beautiful Objects: This lovely blogger & super mom just started a pretty cool series of posts on being purposeful, which is something I can definitely learn from myself!
- Family Life with the Mom who is All Hart: I love love love reading her posts!! Recently she posted some sports cupcakes that are just too cool! She’s a truly inspirational person 🙂
- Homemade Delish: I seriously can’t get enough of her awesome recipes! Honestly, the minutes she posted about her mac& cheese & Nutella cake in a mug a couple days ago, I think I was sold for life!
- Life, Love, & Sugar: I’ve nominated her for an award before, but it’s because she’s truly awesome! Her hashbrown casserole recipe (which I reblogged about) is like food heaven! I literally make it way too much! My family has no complaints though! She’s just pretty awesome with the recipes she comes up with!
- My MCM Life: This family…is truly just amazing. I love reading about their updates with their house and beautiful daughter. They’re truly an inspiration!
Y’all should definitely check all these beautiful and amazing bloggers out & give them a quick like & follow! I promise you won’t be disappointed! And thank you so much again to the lovely DIY2EMC!! She’s amazing, and my wordpress reader would be much sadder without her!
“There’s Vegetables in Chili?!” This is the question I was asked while making my family dinner the other night…seriously…Ok I guess I should preface this by letting y’all know I’ve been a vegetarian for about 3 years, and that’s around the time I started really learning how to cook, so most of what I know is veggie friendly. My parents & soldier quickly informed me, however, that vegetables are not a regular occurrence in “normal people chili”. Although, I would like to point out that it doesn’t stop any of them from wanting to eat it… I guess it just never occured to me that I made chili differently than anyone else? I mean I know I don’t put meat in mine..but doesn’t everyone put peppers, onions, and corn? Sometimes I even like to put zucchini! *gasp!*
I’ve noticed that a lot of vegetarian chili recipes lack the “chili-ness” (That’s totally a word, right?) that makes chili so comforting, but I stumbled on this recipe a while ago and it’s been my go-to recipe ever since! It’s so good I didn’t even get to take a picture of it before my family attacked it! Here’s the recipe from The Picky Eater Blog.
- 1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (I actually ended up using 2 green peppers & it was still yummy!)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced (I used a regular onion that I had at home)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweetened) (I think this is the real kicker to what makes this recipe awesome)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (or a bit less) cayenne pepper
- A couple splashes of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper and paprika to taste
- Chop up your peppers & onions and saute them with some olive oil until translucent.
- While those are cooking, gather the rest of your ingredients together in a separate pot. (Make sure to rinse the canning liquid from the cans of beans before adding)
- Once the peppers & onions are ready, toss them in to the pot with the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer & cook for 3o minutes. (It’s really important to let it cook down during this part, it’s when all the flavors really come together).
Then enjoy!! It really is delicious, full of veggie goodness, and so comforting!
Well hello there, Sunshines!!
I have missed you all so dearly! I’ve been slacking on posting and it’s painful because I have so much to report to y’all! James is still deployed and is about as homesick as he can get (not to mention he’s been actually sick). It’s hard not being able to baby him like I want to! I think I have a few ideas up my sleeve though to help him take better care of himself! So I’ll keep you guys updated on his next package which I’m pretty sure will be full of sick people goodies! (I know it doesn’t sound exciting but I promise it’ll be cute!) In the meantime though…I thought I would share with you my tricks for sticking with my New Years resolutions (well…most of them). No one’s perfect right?
This year I really want to get healthy among other things, so the first thing I thought of was making a vision board to organize my thoughts! And although that’s a really awesome and visual idea..I’m such a perfectionist sometimes and I just haven’t been able to really get it to look neat and cute enough without wanting to rearrange everything all the time, which is just distracting from it’s actual purpose! So I was looking up different blogs about fitness and health, and I came across one, which I’m not sure is active anymore, but it was still good reading nonetheless! It’s called Operation Change, and on there she had a goal sheet, where she crossed off the number of times she went to the gym in a week. So I thought…I can do that! It will help me see my progress and keep me motivated! I loved the look that hers had, so I modeled it pretty closely but so far I’m in love! I love getting to cross off a number when I achieve something or get home from the gym! This is what mine turned out like for my goal of going to the gym 4 times a week! (I’ve already been 3 times this week!)
I did the same thing with my goal for cooking a healthy dinner for my family twice a week. I changed the colors and the quotes up for each goal so that it would be relevant to the topic. Like for my cooking dinner one I put a quote about cooking and changed the “Time to get strong” to “Time to eat”. So what do you guys think? Do you have any New Years resolutions you’re already having a hard time keeping? (I can already tell some of mine just aren’t gonna happen!)