I can not tell y’all how amazing it feels to get these blogging awards! DIY2EMC nominated me for the Beautiful Blogger Award, and I have to say it is such and honor to have been nominated by such a beautiful blogger! She’s amazing, and I love browsing through her posts of marvelous finds! Her blog is full of elegant and quirky finds on a budget, as well as so many other goodies!! I also have to add that I think she is one of my biggest supporters on my page, always leaving me little pieces of encouragement! I love that about her! Now it’s time to let y’all in on a little bit about me as a blogger (per the award’s request)
7 facts about me not listed on my about me page: (This is getting harder each time it gets asked!)
- I work at the front desk of a Quality Inn & Suites! I win over all the guests (well most all of them) with my awkward sweetness & charm. I say awkward because there is not a conversation that goes by where I don’t stumble or stutter over my words.
- I have lived in Columbia, SC my entire life (except for my freshman year of college which was spent in Charlotte, NC); however, I SUCK at giving directions anywhere! To me, everything is just down the street! (Why God made MapQuest…or whoever it was)
- I’m 19 and I do not have my drivers license quite yet…that’s sooo embarrassing! Ok, so the thing is, I have terrible anxiety. So no matter how awesome of a driver I am, sitting in the DMV for 3 hours (it never fails) until the instructor gets in the car and tells me to turn right & I just get tunnel vision and forget the simple things…UGH. But anywho, it’s on my list of things to suck up and do.
- I’m a pescatarian!! This means that I eat fish as my only meat product. No chicken, beef, pork, lamb, anything like that. I gave up meat completely (even fish) during a Lent season a while ago (It’s a Catholic tradition of fasting) and it just kinda stuck. It’s been about 3 years now, I added the fish back because I became really sick due to something else, and it was just easier to fight one battle at a time. I did try to eat chicken a couple months ago…and I literally couldn’t get it in my mouth, there was like an invisible force in the way of my fork & mouth.
- I love retro style glasses! I’ve had to wear glasses since the 1st grade, and my current obsession is getting them kinda cat-eye style? I’m due to get another pair soon & I’m super excited to pick out new frames! Although I really love the ones I have now from Betsy Johnson (I’ll post a picture at the bottom)
- One of my major pet-peeves lately is getting things with cupcakes on them. So, I went to school to become a pastry chef, and I guess when you do that you give people the right to give you everything ever manufactured that has to do with cupcakes? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love cupcakes! But I really really don’t need anything else that’s cupcake themed. However, I do love fingernail polish & shoelaces, in case that threw off anyone’s gift ideas for me.
- One of my goals is to learn American Sign Language. It’s my new years resolution to get started on the basics this year. I think it’s a really awesome skill to have, especially in the field of social work (which is my major). I’ve also just always found it extremely fascinating. Anyone have any tips?
Nominate 7 Bloggers & Tell them you nominated them!! (Little compliments on the side are nice too, I really enjoyed mine from DIY2EMC)
- Rohan 7 Things: This blogger is truly amazing! He wrote his own book!! (Like what, who does that??) <–This Guy
- Miss Marzipan: Her posts always get me thinking about my next project or romp in the kitchen. Not to mention she does everything with such style!
- Beautiful Objects: This lovely blogger & super mom just started a pretty cool series of posts on being purposeful, which is something I can definitely learn from myself!
- Family Life with the Mom who is All Hart: I love love love reading her posts!! Recently she posted some sports cupcakes that are just too cool! She’s a truly inspirational person 🙂
- Homemade Delish: I seriously can’t get enough of her awesome recipes! Honestly, the minutes she posted about her mac& cheese & Nutella cake in a mug a couple days ago, I think I was sold for life!
- Life, Love, & Sugar: I’ve nominated her for an award before, but it’s because she’s truly awesome! Her hashbrown casserole recipe (which I reblogged about) is like food heaven! I literally make it way too much! My family has no complaints though! She’s just pretty awesome with the recipes she comes up with!
- My MCM Life: This family…is truly just amazing. I love reading about their updates with their house and beautiful daughter. They’re truly an inspiration!
Y’all should definitely check all these beautiful and amazing bloggers out & give them a quick like & follow! I promise you won’t be disappointed! And thank you so much again to the lovely DIY2EMC!! She’s amazing, and my wordpress reader would be much sadder without her!
Well hello there, Sunshines!!
I have missed you all so dearly! I’ve been slacking on posting and it’s painful because I have so much to report to y’all! James is still deployed and is about as homesick as he can get (not to mention he’s been actually sick). It’s hard not being able to baby him like I want to! I think I have a few ideas up my sleeve though to help him take better care of himself! So I’ll keep you guys updated on his next package which I’m pretty sure will be full of sick people goodies! (I know it doesn’t sound exciting but I promise it’ll be cute!) In the meantime though…I thought I would share with you my tricks for sticking with my New Years resolutions (well…most of them). No one’s perfect right?
This year I really want to get healthy among other things, so the first thing I thought of was making a vision board to organize my thoughts! And although that’s a really awesome and visual idea..I’m such a perfectionist sometimes and I just haven’t been able to really get it to look neat and cute enough without wanting to rearrange everything all the time, which is just distracting from it’s actual purpose! So I was looking up different blogs about fitness and health, and I came across one, which I’m not sure is active anymore, but it was still good reading nonetheless! It’s called Operation Change, and on there she had a goal sheet, where she crossed off the number of times she went to the gym in a week. So I thought…I can do that! It will help me see my progress and keep me motivated! I loved the look that hers had, so I modeled it pretty closely but so far I’m in love! I love getting to cross off a number when I achieve something or get home from the gym! This is what mine turned out like for my goal of going to the gym 4 times a week! (I’ve already been 3 times this week!)
I did the same thing with my goal for cooking a healthy dinner for my family twice a week. I changed the colors and the quotes up for each goal so that it would be relevant to the topic. Like for my cooking dinner one I put a quote about cooking and changed the “Time to get strong” to “Time to eat”. So what do you guys think? Do you have any New Years resolutions you’re already having a hard time keeping? (I can already tell some of mine just aren’t gonna happen!)
So, pre-blog, I used to be obsessed with Tumblr! Which is a micro-blogging type website. It was kind of like a reflection of the war that was waging itself inside of me. I decided to go back and take a look at it a couple days ago, because I feel like I’ve come so far! I tend to hint towards what happened but I never come out and say it so..here goes…I was sexually assaulted during my freshman year of college. I didn’t tell anyone for about 6 months until I dropped out. This led to me now dealing with a lot of delayed issues which I’m told is PTSD. Looking back at the things I used to post, I realized how angry I was and how by keeping all that anger balled up inside of me that I was making myself my own victim. The people that had caused all that original hurt and self loathing had moved on..they probably were in relationships, getting married, having kids, getting promotions at work. And I was sitting at home…writing on a tumblr about how they had hurt me in the past.
LIGHT-BULB!! No..oh heck no! That’s when I totally turned my life around and decided to just enjoy the little things in life. I know I’m still a work in progress, and I still get angry now and again. But I’m able to look at things and smile…I even have a picture in my head of what my future looks like. I enjoy taking care of the kids that are around me and showering them with love and attention, just thinking about how I’m going to have some of my own some day. It’s an amazing and liberating feeling…just to be vulnerable and happy. Turning emotions that once haunted me and turning them into strengths. I’m vulnerable and that’s beautiful! I’m stubborn and insecure! But those are all things that I love about myself. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t have a doubt about myself…but all those fears and doubts, those are what make me realize I’m alive!
I just wanted to share my favorite page of my Wreck This Journal that I kept while I was going through the first bits of counseling. The concept is that you destroy the pages as you fill them up. It was a great way for me to get back into crafting. They’re nothing special, but they’re beautiful to me…
This page said to “Stand Here. (wipe your feet, jump up and down)” Sorry of the quality, I blurred it a bit just to cover the words themselves a bit more
The page says to“Stand Here. (wipe your feet, jump up and down)”
Hey ladies & gents!
I’m about to hit the hay and get some shut eye. I have work at some ungodly hour in the morning…seriously, I hate waking up at 6am! I’m so not a morning person, it doesn’t matter how early I go to bed (seriously I went to bed at 6pm once..that’s 12 hours of sleep). I’m just not a rise and shine type of gal! If I don’t have to wake up to an alarm and can wake up on my own it will probably be around 8 am (not too shabby) but I’ll be in a much more cheerful mood!
I don’t have anything super crafty tonight since I spent the evening serenading my boyfriend over skype to “Funky Town” …not as weird as it sounds. He’s switching work shifts so he’s changing sleep schedules. Meaning he has to really try to stay awake at weird times. I was trying to help him by singing and dancing during our skype date, but he just kept smiling at me with his head laying on his laptop until I decided to pull out my old ipod (I say old because I haven’t used it in about a year, especially now since I have an Iphone). Everything was good & normal and then out of the blue comes “Won’t you take me to funky town!” His face was priceless! I was blushing so much (literally my entire face was cherry red) and he was laughing so hard he was crying! He just kept saying, “Are you serious? OMG Jess, REALLY?!” I was so embarrassed but then I just decided to own it, so both of us were dancing and singing our way through Funky Town…I know…we’re weird but we love it that way.
I wanted to share a video with y’all that I’m totally stealing from The Village Pixie. She’s amazing, you should really go check her out! But the video is really quite inspiring. I’m a firm believer in alone time, no matter how much I love my boyfriend & friends, sometimes (the majority of the time) I really need some quiet alone time, just me and my cup of tea.
First off, I want to express how horrified I am at the tragedy in Connecticut that occurred today. I didn’t know anybody there but it is truly terrifying to think that our children are not safe, even at school. It’s an unnerving feeling; however, I hate how much press this is getting! I literally can not get away from it on the TV and the radio. I make it a point in my life not to overwhelm myself with traumatic information. It’s not that I don’t care, because trust me, I care! I did my crying, and when my girls I nanny come over tonight, you know I’ll be holding them so tight! But I want to shelter them from it as well. They’re children, they don’t need to see or hear any of this! I’m studying to become a social worker, and people, especially children, can have mild cases of PTSD from seeing too much of a traumatic event. It’s scary! So tonight we refused to be attached to the tv, and instead drove to see Christmas lights! Happy thoughts for happy people! So, I encourage you to keep these families in your prayers, but be mindful of the influence the media has on our families’ mental beings.
This is the quote that brought me to tears:
“Eighteen children who will not have children, who will not have children, who will not have children. Thirty six parents who will not watch their child grow to adulthood, graduate, come home for the holidays, walk down the aisle. Seventy-two grandparents who will look across the generations and see less than they would have yesterday. Hundreds of accomplishments that will go unaccomplished. Inventions that will not be invented. Kindnesses that will not be committed. Ideas that will not be expressed. Romances that will never happen and kindnesses that will never be conveyed. How do you measure loss? Start here.”–Ted Anthony, AP
Now..the point of this post! I made snowflakes out of…dun dun dun….JUNK MAIL! (Y’all are all like..come again?) You heard me right! Advertisements that I will never ever use! I got the idea from Michele Made Me ; although hers are so much cooler! She’s so crafty and resourceful! I tried my hand at making mine into a gift bow…yeah…didn’t turn out as great as I wanted really…but I was half asleep and watching Frosty the Snowman, I was all hot chocolate(d) and snuggled up!
Hey there, ladies & gents!
Good news is, my laptop is fixed!! Kinda not as good news, it’s coming up on finals week for this girl over here! Oy-vay! But anywho, stress levels aside, I really miss my soldier…I try not to think about how much longer we have left to go, too too much, but to an extent it’s helpful. I’m a percentage person, I like to know how far we’ve come and how long we have to go, because when I’m the most upset the facts are what keep me from going crazy. Because facts are facts! Now, how far we have to go isn’t necessarily a fact because it can and does change all the time, but how far we’ve come is! No one can take away how long I’ve made it without my soldier, how I’m that many days stronger and closer to hugging him.
But other than a lovey dovey rant, I wanted to share with y’all what I do to make the time seem to not go by as slow. I was thinking about it this morning because someone had asked me a question the other day that kind of caught me off guard…they asked me why I spent so much time on my phone and on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, WordPress, and all the other apps on my phone and laptop. Well, the truth is, the things that I do that seem antisocial to others, are me refusing to become antisocial! Not to mention, they’re kind of like…busy work? They keep my mind occupied.
But here are my top things that I do to keep the days from dragging during deployment:
- College & Work: School and my job are two big thing that keeps me busy. I was in college before this deployment obviously, but I’ve found that it really helps keep my mind occupied and makes me feel less helpless. But not everyone wants to apply for college and all that but having a schedule for something that you really have to go to is a big plus! So enroll in some classes at a community college, or sign up for a craft class at your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby (I took the Wilton cake classes & loved them!).
- “Doing Time” App: This app on my iPhone is one of my favorites! My soldier and I make it a habit to check on our progress. The description for the app says “written by a soldier, this app is inspired by the Deployment Donut spreadsheet that military members and families keep, and by the act of marking days off on a calendar.” And listen closely for this part…it’s FREE! There are features that you can buy, but they’re really not necessary. Again, love love love this app!
- Crossing Off The Days: I have an actual “old fashioned” calender that I cross the days off on. I like to “save them up” and not cross them off all week and then BAM!! On Sunday I cross them all off one by one and realize I’m another week down!
- Plan, Plan, Plan & Ship ’em Out!: Care packages are my numero uno thing to do. (If y’all haven’t noticed). I plan these suckers out so much! I literally have a word document on my laptop with ideas going months out! I make lists and post them everywhere and add sticky notes with more ideas I find on pinterest. Then I wait for pay day and rock out that care package! Then for about a week and a half to two weeks I taunt my boyfriend over skype going “OOOHH That care package is gonna be so awesome!! I can’t wait, you’re gonna flip out! It’s amazing!!!”
- Write Letters: I write letters to my soldier throughout my day, even when I don’t have anything super exciting to write about. It’s the little things that I write about that I think he likes the most. The little things that he misses while not being here. (I also got Monsters Inc, Toy Story, and A Bugs Life stamps!!
- Throw A Pity Party & Move On: I don’t mean this in a weird sarcastic passive aggressive way. I mean literally, days where I feel terrible and I don’t feel good and I just want a damn hug! But I can’t get one..cause truth is I don’t want just anyone’s hug..I want his! So I sit on my floor, turn on my sad music, sing a long and cry for just a few minutes (30 minutes tops) then I put on my dance music and dance in front of my mirror till I can’t be anything but giggly!
- Don’t Be A Bum: As tempting as it is to sit around on the couch all day eating take out and twinkies, you gotta fight it! Get that tushy, that your soldier loves oh so much, off the couch and into the shower! Put on your lipgloss (or tinted chapstick) and throw on some cute clothes! They don’t have to be fancy, in fact I think that yoga pants and a cute top work just as good as anything else for me personally! I also find myself having little photo shoots and sending the pictures to my soldier! He loves them, even has a few in his wallet! But just by doing those simple things, you’re setting yourself up for a better (and cleaner) day!
- Monthly Photo Challenges: These things are all over the place! I’m working on one right now on my Instagram that is called “Capturing December”. They give a little hint for each day and you post a picture that goes along with it! I’ve loved it so much so far! I’ve always wanted to do one but I always quit half way through, but I’m sticking with it this time!
So, I just nabbed my mother’s laptop for a moment to do this post! I’ve been meaning to do it, but this week (as y’all know) has been crazy. But nevertheless, I was awarded the “Very Inspiring Blogger Award” by DIY2EMC ! I am so flattered, I can’t even think of the words to say just how flattered I am! So here are the things come along with this lovely award:
- Display the award logo on your blog
- Link back to the person who nominated you
- Post 7 things about yourself not listed on your About Me page.
- Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them
- Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements
So here goes the 7 things about me not listed on my About Me page:
- I have had purple, pink, blue, and green hair! (pictures to come once I get my laptop back)
- I have a puppy named Sophie, that I rescued from a local shelter. She’s a black lab mix and is turning 3 very soon! She knows how to sit, shake, lay down, snuggle, and beg for food. (she’s best at the latter)
- I have an obsession with the color purple!
- I’m a video game nerd, I play Dragon Age, Fable, Dungeon Siege, Assassins Creed, and L.A. Noire (on Xbox 360)
- I know almost every word to the movie “Up!” (I ripped this page right out of a library book!)
- I have a weird obsession with mason jars.
- I will do almost anything to get out of washing dishes…and I mean that quite literally!
- **BONUS FACT** I’m a southern/yankee mix: My parents are from the north (Rhode Island & Maryland) but I was born & raised in South Carolina so I use both accents when I’m tired…weird I know…
Now here goes the 15 blogs that I can’t seem to keep my eyes off of throughout the week! If you haven’t already seen them you definitely should take a look! (And go ahead and click that follow button cause you know you want to!)
| Southern Belle And Company | Guy & His Girl | Ashley Bollinger | Engaged to the Army | Life, Love, and Sugar |
Domestic Diva | Gina Left The Mall | The Pink Hammer Blog |Delightfully Teal |1227 Foster |
| The Village Pixie |Laura Susanne Yochelson | Beautiful Things | My Mid-Century Modern Life | Angie and James do Stuff |
Phew! That was rough! Now..that was a lot of linkage ^^ BUT the point is for you to click on all those links I just slaved over putting in, and to discover these amazing bloggers! Please & Thank you!!
And once again, thank you to the lovely DIY2EMC for encouraging me along the way of starting my blog, and always having something cheerful to say on my posts! This nomination made my weekend 🙂