So for my Happy
Valentines Day Zombie Apocalypse care package, I found an idea for Apocalypse cookies on the blog Shards of Blue. For hers she brilliantly combined a recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Brown Eyed Baker and No Bake Cockroach Clusters from Bakingdom.
I’m kind of not very good at changing up recipes. I’m such a rule follower, but this logically made sense in my head, so I’m gonna share with y’all my very simple combination of these recipes.
Base Ingredients (From Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (instead of 1 cup from original)
Additives (From the Cockroach Clusters:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (mixed in with flour)
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini reese’s pieces
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzel pieces (I used unsalted)
- Measure out & whisk together your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, & cocoa powder) Set aside
- In a mixer, cream your butter, and add the two sugars, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Scrape down the bowl with a spatula, and add your egg. Mix on medium speed until everything is mixed well.
- Add your flour mixture (slowly so it doesn’t cover your kitchen! I may have done that..)
- Add all your mix-ins!! (Everything, reese’s, oats, chocolate chips, pretzels, and marshmallows!
- Scoop large portions (3 Tablespoons approximately), place them 2 inches apart on your baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees. Note: Use parchment on your cookie sheet, because the marshmallow may caramelize which will make them stick.
- Tip: I have an older oven, so times for me may be different for you. But these took about 15 minutes in my oven. I scooped them kind of large, and I did not wait for them to get solid. Once the bottoms looked like they had set, I took them out and let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes to continue cooking. This makes for a chewy and delicious cookie!
So why are these Apocalypse cookies? Well the blogger from Shards of Blue described it pretty well..There’s practically everything but the kitchen sink in these cookies!! Can you imagine making food during an apocalypse?! I’d be throwing everything in there! Enjoy!!